Sunday, March 16, 2008

Spring break spectacle ... SXSW and more.

My spring break in three bullet points? I will give it a try.

1) Riding an Austin Convention Center escalator to street level, a man behind me offered his hand to a gentleman across the way. "Hey, you're Eldar," the guy said. Sure enough, the brilliant, young jazz pianist who performed at this year's Grammy Awards was right there. About four hours later, I shook his hand and attempted to show my admiration before he took the stage for a Friday night showcase. He then proceeded to manhandle his grand piano like a young Art Tatum. My question: how the hell did he open the show? What act would volunteer to follow that?

2) After Story of the Year delivered an ear-splitting performance at an Ernie Ball showcase Friday night, I went over to congratulate the band members on a great show. When I moved to shake rhythm guitarist Philip Sneed's hand, he grabbed the nutsack area of my jeans and pinched it. "Damn, you're equipped," he said. The band does get along with its fans, doesn't it?

3) see Saturday

A quick South by Southwest top 5
1. Eldar
2. Trombone Shorty
3. Alex Skolnick Trio
4. Flyleaf and Serj Tankian
5. Jesca Hoop

Here is the full list of what I saw:

WEDNESDAY

Buffalo Billards
Jesca Hoop, Los Angeles CA

Victorian Room at The Driskill Hotel
Rodney Fisher, New Plymouth NEW ZEALAND (Folk/Country/Rock/Singer-songwriter)

Barcelona
Dr. Delay, Brooklyn NY (Electronic-DJ)

Flamingo Cantina
FREE Sol, Memphis TN (Reggae/Hip-hop)

Esther's Follies
Kim Taylor, Cincinnati OH (Singer-songwriter)

Stubb's BBQ
Papercranes, Gainesville FL (Rock)
Dead Confederates, Atlanta GA (Rock)
R.E.M., Athens GA (Rock)

Cedar Door
Bo Bice, Birmingham AL (Southern rock--this rocker lost to Carrie Underwood on season 4 of American Idol).

Comments: After anticipating a tremendous, lively set from alternative rock icons R.E.M., I instead received 75 minutes of musical masturbation. The group did play "Drive," "Electrolight," "Imitation of Life," "The Great Divide" and a few other recognizable gems. The focus on new and recent material bored the crowd and Michael Stipe's incessant political propaganda became more irritating than endearing. I also left before the group played "Losing My Religion" and "Man on the Moon." Those could have saved the performance from its masturbatory and dreary failure. I cannot fault my decision to split Stubb's to hear former American Idol contestant Bo Bice rock out original and traditional blues jams. My problem with the set: why did only 15 people show up?


THURSDAY

Ninety Proof Lounge
Tremor, Buenos Aires ARGENTINA (Electronic/Eclectic)

Austin Music Hall
Yo La Tengo, Hoboken NJ (Rock)

Fado Patio
Trombone Shorty & Orleans Avenue, New Orleans, LA (Jazz/Funk/Rock)

La Zona Rosa
Black Tide, Miami FL (Metal)
Flyleaf, Temple TX (Alternative/Hard rock)
Serj Tankian and the Flying Cunts of Chaos, Los Angeles CA (Rock/Metal--Serj is System of a Down's lead singer)

Momo's
Marcelo D2, Rio de Janeiro BRAZIL (Hip-hop/Rap)

Comments: Trombone Shorty's ridiculous trumpet and trombone playing was jaw-dropping. The New Orleans native and his outfit had a packed venue (an outdoor tent) jumping, singing and smiling in ways R.E.M. could not the previous night. You know Texas product Flyleaf from popular radio hits "All Around Me" and "Fully Alive," now go see them rip those tunes live. Trust me, this Christian-oriented quintet is worth your time. I still contend that Serj Tankian is the most eccentric lead vocalist this planet offers. His voice may alter from that of a booming dictator to a testicle-pinched school boy, but he performs one helluva show.


FRIDAY

Emo's Main Room
Yeasayers (Indie rock)

Emo's Jr.
A Place to Bury Strangers (Crap rock)

Austin Convention Center Day Stage
Lykke Li, Stockholm SWEEDEN (Singer-songwriter)

Smokin' Music
Eldar, New York NY (Jazz)

Elephant Room
Zona Tango, Buenos Aires ARGENTINA (Jazz/Tango fusion)
Glen David Andrews & The Lazy Six, New Orleans LA (Jazz)

Esther's Follies
Superdeluxe Presents Comedy Death Ray
Reggie Watts, Seattle WA (Comedy)
Paul F. Tompkins, Los Angeles CA (Comedy)
Janeane Garofalo, Newton NJ (Comedy)

Habanna Annex Backyard
Story of the Year, St. Louis MO

Comments: Thank God I did not wait in that ghastly line for Vampire Weekend. I heard from friends the buzzing New York band was blood-suckingly bad. I saw Eldar and you did not. From an Oscar Peterson tribute to metal riffs and a mosh pit--that is what I call an evening variety! I relished the few Argentine artists on the bill, can't you tell?

SATURDAY
Austin Convention Center Day Stage
Paul Kelly, Melbourne AUSTRALIA (Singer-songwriter)

Auditorium Shores Stage at Lady Bird Lake
Lyrics Born, Los Angeles CA (Hip-hop/Rap/Funk)

Pete Rock, New York NY (Hip-hop DJ)
Jean Grae, Brooklyn NY (Hip-hop/Rap)
Talib Kweli and Strong Arm Steady, Brooklyn NY (Hip-hop/Rap)

Copa
Shiko Mawatu, Shisa CONGO (World)
Boubacar Diebate, Boulder SENEGAL (World)

Club 115
Fuet & Os Cozinheiros, Puerto Alegre BRAZIL (Rock/Samba)
Telerama, Fortaleza BRAZIL:(Rock)
Valerio Renaldi, Buenos Aires ARGENTINA (Rock en Espanol cover artist)
Lucy and the Popsonics, Brasilia BRAZIL (Electronic)

The Ale House
Alex Skolnick Trio, Brooklyn NY (Jazz)

Comments: I managed to get to the front row (the railing) in time for Talib Kweli. If you see that white guy on the video dancing like an idiot with his hands up like he's under arrest, that's me.
How often can an American listen to a band from Africa in his backyard?
The South American artists performing at Copa Bar and Grill had some swell moments on stage--some off-key singing and one rhythmless drummer irritated me. However, I met a gorgeous woman from Puerto Rico who offered the best conversation I have had in months. We bought each other drinks and danced. Funny how great company makes listening to "at-least-they're-trying" rock worth every minute.
I ended the festival the only way I could have: my second Alex Skolnick Trio show. Skolnick was the lead guitarist in 80s thrash metal powerhouse Testament. He postponed his headbanger ways to learn jazz guitar. With his trio, he takes classic and hard rock standards and gives them the jazz treatment. Imagine Rush's "Tom Sawyer" of Aerosmith's "Dream On" with a melody, head and multi-minute solo improvisation sections. Yes friends, that means order one of this trio's CDs now!

A great week of music ended in spectacular fashion. I have yet to cut off my music wristband--one sign that I cannot admit the festival has ended.

1 Comments:

At 8:51 AM , Blogger Donna said...

Sounds like you had yet another outstanding SXSW experience. Your writtings astound me! You rock guy!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home