Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Forget the Fave 5, Here's My Fave 10

It seems T-Mobile has convinced everybody, even those who don't subscribe to the company's phone service, to create lists of five people whom they like or admire. I decided to this fad one better and do a "Fave 10."
Since I love professional basketball so much that it's unhealthy, I figured I ought to divulge my favorite players.

HERE'S MY 10 (SEE IF YOU CAN'T FIGURE OUT WHO MY FAVORITE TWO TEAMS ARE--REALLY CHALLENGING!)
1. Tim Duncan, F-Spurs
He's been my favorite player since being selected as the first pick in the 1997 draft. Transitioning from the domination of David Robinson to the Tim Duncan era has made it pretty difficult not to be a die-hard Spurs fan. Duncan may be the most complete power forward to ever play the game, his low-post dominance dictates game tempos and he's one hell of a class act.

2. Yao Ming, C-Rockets
I never regret the Rockets choosing Yao Ming over many of the other talented prospects in that draft year. He's taken time to develop, but the beginning of this NBA season was HIS year. Until he injured himself, no other player was in his league in the MVP race. Despite what the Shaq ass-kissers might argue, Yao is the best center in the league and he's a joy to watch. How many big men have such a pure free throw stroke?

3. Manu Ginobili, G-Spurs
By far the most unpredictable player in basketball. In most games he plays, I'm screaming "Ginobili!" Most of the time, shouting his last name is crude compensation for an incredible game changing play he makes and some of the time, it's a stern reprimand for a turnover or a game-costing mistake. Game 7 of the Spurs-Mavericks series; Manu knifes a clutch three-pointer to give the Spurs their first lead of the game. Next play, Manu fouls Dirk Nowitzki in the act of shooting after coach Pops told the team specifically not to do that. You get the point.

4. Dwyane Wade, G-Heat
He's still no Jordan, but the reigning Finals MVP is the closest thing we've got to the former Bulls legend. D-Wade is starting to have that same effect on me that Michael did when I was a young kid. He's a player on a team I care nothing about that I can root for in every game, a player who I'd pay to see dominate a critical 4th quarter. Dwyane is the best player in the league (here's looking at you, Mark Cuban), with Kobe Bryant trailing at a close second. I couldn't even defame him when he killed the Spurs in the fourth quarter with a 20 point outburst Sunday.

5. Bruce Bowen, F-Spurs
What can I say? I like defense and this guy has a lot of it. Bowen is hands down the best defender in the NBA. Case in point, the final seconds of Game 5 in the Spurs-Mavericks series last season.

6. Shane Battier, F-Rockets
The most underrated defender in the NBA. Battier is one of those wonderful franchise players who gets overlooked because he plays for a team that no casual sports fan cares about. I never paid attention to him when he played for Memphis, because I could care less about anything the Grizzlies do. Now that he plays for a big market team in the Rockets, I realize everything I've been missing about his game. He takes game-changing charges, blocks potential game-winners, sinks clutch shots from the behind the arc and is a great addition defensively and intellectually to the Rockets. Houston would not be a title contender without Battier. How many support players can you say that about?

7. Tony Parker, G-Spurs
If the U.S. is to have a grudge against French people, we can make an exception in this case. Every time I think about how gorgeous Eva Longoria is, I remember that I'm also one of Tony's biggest fans and that he wouldn't particularly like me for lusting after his fiance. Not that the French point guard would want to meet me (people can dream). I put Tony in the game's most elite company of point guards, right up there with two-time MVP Steve Nash. If you actually watch the Spurs more than when they're on ESPN, you wouldn't question his stealthy greatness. I actually thought he might be in the MVP race when he came roaring out of the gates at the beginning of the season.

8. Jason Terry, G-Mavericks
It's hard to say why I like Jet so much, especially when he has helped prevent my two teams from reaching the NBA Finals. I shouldn't like the Mavs and I damn sure shouldn't like Terry. But it's impossible not to respect the runway that this guard is indeed on. I find it funny that Mavs fans disagree with me when I call him a great clutch player. In Game 5 of the Finals, which will historically belong to Dwyane Wade, Terry quietly shot over 65 percent and notched 35 points

9. Kobe Bryant
It's hard to believe that a proven champion in his 10th year is only starting to play his best basketball. Kobe has always been a great scorer and he won me back last year with that marvelous 81 point performance. However, what he's done this year, becoming the unabashed leader of a a young and raw future title contender, is his greatest feat yet. Elite players become great when they learn how to involve their teammates, when they learn how to facilitate offense and defense instead of hogging the ball. Jordan as great as he was never reached this milestone. MJ had a compelling reason to be a ball hog (No duh!), but Kobe does also. It's been Kobe's newfound leadership that has propelled the young Lakers this year, not Phil Jackson's veteran coaching.

10. Luther Head
If the Rocket's are going to establish a bench presence, it will start with Luther, who is already averaging 12 points in less than 25 minutes a game. I consider myself one of the very few who knows just how great Luther will be down the stretch. While everyone else might say he's no Josh Howard or Ben Gordon, I think those notions are crazy. I'm so glad this young guard became a Rocket.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home